Our first step was to develop an inventory of any Nova Scotia Provincial Government and School Board healthy eating and active living policies and programs that influence children's health behaviours and health.
- With support from the Department of Education and Department of Health Promotion and Protection, this scan has been expanded to include policies relevant to the Nova Scotia Health Promoting Schools (HPS) initiative.
- Key provincial and school board stakeholders have been consulted to verify information collected in our scan.
- With support from the Provincial Health Promoting Schools Evaluation, HPS Co-chairs have been interviewed to provide feedback on the Nova Scotia Health Promoting Schools initiative.
- A report has been completed and submitted to the Provincial Health Promoting Schools Evaluation Implementation Committee.
- Key findings from this policy inventory were presented by Jessie-Lee Langille and Meaghan Sim at the Canadian Obesity Student Meeting in Ottawa in June 2010. The presentation won 2nd place overall for PhD oral presentations.
- A manuscript is currently under development.